Thursday, January 23, 2014

Blog Makeover!

Hi, friends!
 
So, y'all know that I've gone back and forth on this blogging thing.  I really wanted to do it, but it's been a process for me of figuring out how to hone in on a direction.  My original "His Grace All Sufficient" blog really began as a way to write whatever was on my heart, which was mostly deep stuff.  So, when I decided to change it up a bit (not just focusing on heart stuff, but including fun/everyday stuff), that title didn't seem to fit anymore...hence, my "blog makeover"! 
 
What in the world is a "musicianary"?  In the simplest terms, a "musicianary" is one whose primary tool is music, using songs to spread the Gospel.  This, I believe, describes my husband.  While he is one of the most gifted  musicians (not to mention THE most downright handsome guy) I have ever met, the thing that first attracted me to him was his love for Jesus and his desire to share the Gospel with anyone he comes across.  I kind of struggled with that title for a little bit, because I didn't want anyone to take offense to the term.  We have such respect and admiration for real, true missionaries and have many of them in our church family, so I didn't want to just throw that word out there or sound like I was trying to be super-spiritual or compare myself or my husband to something we hold such high regard for.  (Excuse the stupid-long sentence!)  BUT -- My husband is in such a unique position with his job in that he is the antithesis of what most people think of when they meet a professional musician.

Here's a little about my background...

Most of you know I grew up in the music business.  I've never known any other life.  My mom is in a family band (The Whites) with her sisters and their father.  My grandmother sang with them early on, but later retired to stay at home and raise the family.  (They had four daughters.)  They play and sing bluegrass, gospel, western swing (They're proud Texans!), and traditional country music. 

Left to Right: My grandpa (aka "Paw-Paw"), Aunt Melissa, My grandma (aka "Lolly"),
Aunt Sharon, Aunt Rosie and Mom


My Uncle Ricky is married to sister #1, Sharon.  He, of course, has a record label, where I worked for 10 years and a band through which I met my husband.  My Uncle Brian (married to sister #3, Rosie) is a guitarist who has traveled with various country bands over the years.  My Uncle David's (married to sister #4, Melissa) father was in the Grand Ole Opry staff band for many years.  My "Poppa" (because "step-dad" is too impersonal for us) , Billy Paul , has worked for many years in television production, working with various country music networks.  So, music and the music business, for us, has always been a family affair!  I should probably insert a disclaimer that it's never been a prerequisite to join this family and the vast majority of us do not actually work in the music business full-time...it's really just the way the Lord has worked in all of our lives that brought this crazy bunch together!

My overall experience with the music business has been positive.  Because I've grown up in it and worked in it, I've seen both sides of the spectrum.  Thankfully, my family was always in the position to "call the shots" when it came to the atmosphere on the road.  There are parts of the business that are difficult to deal with as a Christian, but I'm proud to come from a family that has always unapologetically stood for godliness in a secular platform.  People know that on stage or off, they're going to hear about Jesus from this family, whether they want to or not!  You couldn't say that for many gospel singers!

Which brings me to the here and now.  I "retired" from the music business a little over 4 years ago to be a full-time helpmeet to my "musicianary" husband.  I LOVE being a wife and all that that entails, but I especially love being his wife.  We do lead a very different life from most people in that my husband travels a lot for his job.  We don't get to spend all our weekends together like most families do.  It's not for everyone and it may not be for us forever, but this is the season of life we're in right now.  I want to embrace it, be content in it, learn from it, and share it! :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that you are writing again! I think the word musicianary is great! Bro. Andy does minister through his music and I know that whenever he plays in church it always blesses my heart (and my ears).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mrs. Hannah! I'm having a lot of fun with it already. PS...I've been enjoying the special music CD from missions conference! I love hearing you and Abigail sing together! :)

      Delete